Thursday, January 1, 2009

Of Status Quo

I'm having a Day of Uninspiration.
I feel so uninspired that I even feel that it's the only thing I can write about.
I could hardly even bring myself to sit and read for a while. I flipped through the pages of some or other dull magazine, tried to focus a little on my reading but gave up.
So today has been extremely fruitless. It's a bit of a bad omen, in a sense, that the first day of a new year should be so frustrating and pointless. Today's biggest achievement was probably that I spent 45 minutes in the shower, losing all concept of time along the way.

I'm not sure if you've ever felt like it. I wouldn't know. But I decided, in the end, to take it into account. To take a day off. I mean, it's not like I go to huge lengths every day to perform anything - quite the opposite, if anything - but even so, just today, I decided to stop trying. So I did, and it's been probably the most boring day ever.

Anyhow, I have made some progress, quite generally. Having more or less finished the last thing - well, finished is probably the wrong word, more of having run out of imagination and paths to explore - I've started to make headway with the new thing. It's taking shape, but I'm still largely at a loss for the mid/end bit. I know what I'm writing, I'm just unsure of how to do so.
At the moment, I'm just exploring possibilities. Moving some sentences around, writing some new sections, etcetera. Filling out this and that.

And the opening hook. Big problems with the hook. There's a way I want to write it, and there's a way I know it technically is better. It's a bit of a no-no to put a paragraph in front of the hook, but it won't be halfway as powerful if I don't. At the moment, I'm leaving it there, but I might well change it later on, and I think I probably will. If not strip it out outright, I will at least compromise and make some kind of half-mash.

I'm not too proud of this post, but I can't have as a rule to write decent stuff unless I write some exceptions to it as well.

No comments: